Minutes – Monday 6th September 2021


Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting
held at
Ashmore Village Hall on
Monday September 6th 2021 at 7pm

Chairman – Philip Hamilton (PH)
Councillors –Andrew Featherstone (AF), Gilly Forge (GF), Philippa Kelway-Bamber (PKB)
Clerk– Vivian Hitchmough
7 members of the public

2021.34 Apologies:- Annette Ruff (AR) Sara Milton, Constantine Lynsey
and Cllr Jane Somper.

2021.35 Minutes of the meeting of Monday May 10th 2021 were agreed as a true record and duly signed.

2021.36 Matters Arising
Issues around cars parked at the top of Green Lane which could cause a traffic incident were discussed. Mr Whetham has erected a notice and it was generally felt that this was adequate although moving the notice a cars length may give more awareness to motorists.

2021.37 Declarations of Interest
Cllr Kelway-Bamber declared an interest in the discussion on road closure.

2021.38 Updates from Officers
DAPTC Nothing to report
Planning Officer
AF reported on one planning application at North Farmhouse. There was no objection to the extension but objection to taking down the old wall. AF said Dorset Planning office were struggling with demand for planning and recruiting to fill posts. They had more applications to deal with than normal.

Tree Officer
GF had concerns regarding an Ash tree to be felled at Manor Farmhouse. She said if a tree seems to be surviving Ash dieback there should be a need to monitor its progress. Tree preservation orders were not being received in time for Cllrs to make comment.

Pond Officer
The Chairman reported that Constantine Lindsey continues with general maintenance. He has put down poison to eradicate the Australian and New Zealand weed.
Playground Representative
Paul Whetham advised that the playground is in good order.

Airfield Officer
AF said there were no further details on the road improvements yet.

AF reported that the defibrillator had not been needed and he updates the system every two weeks.

Dorset Councillor Jane Somper
In Cllr Somper’s absence the Chairman detailed her report advising the delay in planning applications due to the increase in work load at Dorset Council.
Covid numbers were generally lower in our area.
Cllr Somper has organised a ward meeting on 28th September with the Police and Crime Commissioner with the main topic being speeding. The Chairman will attend this meeting with Cllr Sara Milton.

2021.39 Finance
The Chairman detailed the latest bank reconciliation.

2021.40 OtherBusiness
The Chairman read a statement for Councillors to agree or disagree regarding the “proposed temporary closure” of the road from Ashmore to the C13, Spread Eagle Hill.
“Closure of the road will cause inconvenience for those living and working in Ashmore who leave the village in the direction of Fontmell Magna. Considerable inconvenience will be caused to those who require access to the fields on either side of the road. The Council has consulted those directly affected by the proposed road closure and request:-
1. The drilling machine pits (and any associated space required) are sited so as to avoid any access to farm, field or property. Their points of access points are obvious on the ground but approximate locations are on the attached plan.
2. The road from Ashmore to the C13 is open on the days set below.
Though outside the boundary at Washers Pit, those within the Parish have an interest in properties close to the C13 so the drilling machine pit should not be located in the stretch of road off which there is an access.
The days the road should be open are:
October 12, 16, 23, 30
November 1, 6 , 10, 13, 20, 27
December 4, 13, 18, 20
January 8, 15, 22, 29
The statement was agreed by Cllrs. Proposed by AF and seconded by GF

2021.41 Questions from the public
Members of the public said they would like to see a 20mph speed limit in the village particularly in Green Lane where vehicles speed. The Chairman said that Dorset Highway Authority will look at the issue particularly with the Parish Council’s approval but there must be data to back up the request. The Chairman said they would need proof of speeding and data on accidents. He said people in the village would need to set up a team to monitor traffic and acquire the recording speed machine.
There was a complaint about the stains and smell left on the road by the garden waste vehicle. The liquid was believed to be the way the vehicle deals with garden waste but also because the waste had not been collected recently. The Chairman agreed to contact Dorset Council.

2021.42 Correspondence none received

2021.43 Items for the next Agenda none received

Date of next meeting

Monday 17th January 2022 at 7pm

The Chairman closed the meeting at 7.45 pm